Thursday, March 12, 2009

29 Days of Sweets

My Step-son and his wife were married a year ago. They had a fun reception which included a full table full of cookies (which my mother-in-law and I made). We had a lot of fun making and arranging the cookies. Sadly the Bride and Groom were so busy that they didn't get any of the cookies.


I decided that for their Anniversary I would make a unique recipe book that included all of the cookie recipes plus some other family favorites. I customized it by making it their wedding colors (Pink & Brown) and played on their Wedding date (Feb. 29th Leap year). So of course the book had to include 29 recipes.

I had lots of fun with this. I created some cute recipe cards with some amazing digital paper and embellishments which I printed out on blank 4 x 6 index cards. It had a great old casual look and feel. I used regular scrapbook paper to cover a 6 inch book with 20 pages (7-Gypsies) and inked everything to grunge it up.


I cut 6 inch squares and then cut them in half to create pockets for the recipe cards. I then put an eyelet in each side of the pocket to maintain strength and threaded some ribbon through the top eyelet.

I put numbers (1-29) on each recipe card and punched out circles (stamped 1-29 on them). I placed the numbered circles on each pocket so that it was easy to return the recipe card to it's pocket. I left several pages so that they could personalize the album with pictures. I also added several extra pockets with cards for their favorite dessert recipes.



I wanted this book to be personal so I added some gel pens so that they could mark the book up. On the back inside cover I wrote a personal message and on the back outside of the book I stamped and wrote some important dates for them to remember (wedding date, etc). I had fun making this even though it took more work than I thought it would. It was definately worth it. Since the Recipe cards are 4x6 the cards stick out of the top a bit to add to the home made rustic feel.

2 comments:

Christy said...

WOW Mom!!! You are so creative! It turned out beautiful!! They will love it!

Brenda E said...

That is beautiful! I am sure it is very appreciated. I am sorry I missed out on the wedding Sat. Merik had to work.